By Complete Women's Healthcare
May 02, 2014
Category: Womens Healthcare
Gynecology 101: What Should I Expect?
In order to maintain good reproductive and sexual health, it is important to visit a gynecologist for an exam every year. During each annual exam, you will be asked various questions in addition to your physical exam. We want to help make your visit as comfortable and easy as possible, which is why we have put together some helpful information, whether it is your first visit or your 100th. Our OBGYN office in Alpharetta is available for late afternoon and early morning appointments in addition to our regular hours to ensure you have the most convenient time for your appointment. Let’s take a closer look at the importance of visiting our office each year.
Why Do I Need to Visit the OBGYN?
Part of growing up is learning to take care of your body, and part of that is visiting your gynecologist every year. It is important to visit the OBGYN every year because it gives you a chance to learn more about your body, discuss any problems you may be having and to get tested. By visiting our office, you will be taking charge of your health by:
- Preventing health problems from happening
- Finding problems early
- Controlling problems or keeping them from worsening
- Teaching you good choices to make
Each year you need to receive a pelvic exam and a pap test, which are performed to ensure everything is ok. A pap test is completed if you are 21 years of age or older, or have had sex and is completed to check for abnormal cells in the cervix.
Additionally, a breast exam will be performed to check for any signs of problems. We can also teach you how to perform at-home breast exams for further precautions.
5 Tips to Improve Your OBGYN Visit
Many women dread the thought of going to their yearly OBGYN visit, but we want you to know there is no reason why you should dread it. Developing a good relationship with your gynecologist is one of the best things you can do for your health and your peace of mind. To help you feel more comfortable at each of your visits to our office, here are five helpful tips:
- Choose a gynecologist you like – 40% of women say they signed up with a new OBGYN because they were unhappy with their current care. By visiting a gynecologist that you like and are comfortable with, your visits are immediately improved.
- Make it a yearly event – by visiting our office every year, your overall health will benefit. It’s not just about STD screening and pap tests, it is also about breast exams that may detect breast cancer and pelvic exams that can turn up life saving information.
- Know your pap test – most women don’t have a clue what type of Pap test they get, or what it means. By asking questions and understanding your test, you can better understand your results and health.
- Be open and honest – it doesn’t pay to not be completely honest with our Alpharetta gynecologist. It may not be easy to admit that you forgot a condom, but it is important for us to know so we can screen for sexually transmitted diseases.
- Talk about the tough topics first – many women find that they are too embarrassed to ask their OBGYN about sexual-health issues. While you might feel embarrassed, it is important not to be. Try telling us first thing, then it will help ease your anxiety.
Visiting our office every year is important in the maintenance of your health. While many women dread the thought of their yearly exam, it is important to understand that it doesn’t have to be worrisome. By visiting our gynecologists serving Alpharetta and surrounding areas, we will ensure that your appointment is easy and comfortable. Don’t be afraid to ask questions or share your thoughts with us, as it is our goal to make sure you are at your healthiest. Contact us today to schedule your yearly exam with our Johns Creek, Alpharetta and Suwanee area OBGYN.